There are usually 4 startup modes available in AIX, they are Normal, SMS, Maintenance and Diagnostics.
- System at a working stage
- Multi-User mode
- All process are up and running.
- It show login screen to logon to the system.
System Management Service (SMS)
- Using F1, we can go to SMS mode (RIPL)
- Not AIX
- Runs from the firmware
- Used to select & set normal bootlist and from where the system want to boot or bootdevice
- Used to set Power-On password and Supervisor password
- Maintenance mode
- Fix machine problem that won’t boot in normal mode/boot
- Used to recover root password
- Restoration the mksysb backup from tape should be performed in this mode.
- F5 to press the service bootlist
- When your system doesn’t boot and you feel there could be a device related problem, you can startup in diagnostics mode
- Diagnose and check the device for potential problems and then try for a normal startup.